Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wandering about Infinite Arms

So, this is my first blog in awhile. I haven't had much to discuss lately I guess. I just had a really nice visit from my best friend Gary and his girlfriend who were in Pittsburgh from Seattle for a few days. We had some good times, and some funny times for sure. I also got to spend a lot of time with Christine last week, since she was on spring break, which reminded me of the old days we use to share and it was really nice and I miss it greatly. A sentimental weekend no doubt. Other than that it's been status quot really. I am working 5 days a week, skating or hanging out with friends in the evenings, and then on the weekends I get my Christine time. The weather hasn't been typical at least. That took a turn for the absolute best. It's been abnormally warm and sunny. I've been getting a chance to get on the skateboard and it's been tons of fun. I do miss getting to skate with all my friends who are largely gone from the area, but it's still been nice to get out.

Anyways... I wanted to discuss the upcoming release from Band Of Horses which is titled Infinite Arms. It will be out May 18th. Saying that I've been critical of this band over the past 2 years would be putting it nicely. The transformation this band has taken since the release of Everything All The Time is baffling. Musically they are pretty close to what they originally were, but boy have they blown up. I remember logging onto Myspace the one day and on the homepage there was an ad for shows they were playing for Jerry Garcia! Seriously!!??? I couldn't believe that shit, not to mention that they are currently playing a tour with Pearl Jam, where they are performing in hockey arenas. I am not trying to sound elitist, but I remember 3 or 4 years ago watching them play at the Grog Shop in Cleveland. If you have never been to the Grog Shop, it's very small, and its max capacity would probably be about 100 people or so. I am not trying to be one of those guys with this statement who is claiming they are sell outs or what not. I know how obnoxious that is. I am glad they have had a lot of success. They are a talented group and deserve it, but unfortunately what happens when a band that was good for certain reasons get's as big as Band Of Horses anymore is that they change things about what they did in the first place that was so great. They do things to appease the mainstream of society rather sticking to what made them great to begin with. Hints to support that are the fact that besides singer Ben Bridwell the only member from the original band is the drummer. Not to mention, that Everything All The Time was a much better all around record than Cease to Begin, mostly because Mat Brooke helped write it I would argue. For those BOH fans out there that have seen the band live, did you ever once hear them play St. Augustine or I Go The Barn Because I Like The...?? I would guess not, because those songs were written by Mat Brooke and so they are never played live since his departure from the band.

Because of all this, their ever growing popularity, and change of identity I am not expecting a lot out of the new album Infinite Arms. That being said, there is a new song and video up on their site called Compliments and I have to admit I like it quite a lot. So maybe I am completely wrong about this, and the new BOH look and sound will be just as good as the old. It's hard for me to imagine that, since the old BOH was one of my favorite bands. I will try not to be overcritical, and we'll wait and see. I will post back sometime after May 18th and I'll let you know. You can here the new song on bandofhorses.com if you're interested. Catch you on the other side.

1 comment: